Read all about MAKE SOMEONE HAPPY, release date: October 26, 2016.
This is my 3rd book with Dreamspinner Press and I'm super excited to share it with you. I love feedback, so please share your review, questions, musings, tidbits...
Best wishes always,
This is a silly section of the blog where I randomly toss out pop culture thoughts based on what I'm reading or watching on TV or screen, and especially about the music I'm listening to. Who cares? I don't know.
It's inconsistent and far from comprehensive. But trust me, I MEAN well....More from 2016:
Music: "Encore: Movie Partners Sing Broadway" -- fabulous duets with Barbra Streisand. Lots of dialogue, spoken word -- storytelling: simply wonderful. My absolute favorite is "Climb Ev'ry Mountain" with Jamie Foxx.
More Music: "Blond" by Frank Ocean..."Joanne" by Lady Gaga..."Lemonade" by Beyonce..."Night Shadows" by Bob Dylan...
TV: "Dancing With the Stars" captivates me every time...I loved RuPaul Drag Race All Stars...Enjoying "Finding Prince Charming" ...
Movies: Saw "Carol" on cable and it's stunning. Beautiful. Heart-rending. Saw "Zootopia" on Netflix and WOW -- the colors. The creativity. The humor. Loved it....
2015 -- where are you?
2013 saw the publication of my novella WHEN WE PICKED APPLES LAST AUTUMN, from Dreamspinner Press. This is a story about a young man who thinks he doesn't really want a lasting love, even as he falls head over heels for a dashing pilot. The title evokes a sweet and idyllic time during the romance of the two main characters, Josh and Benny, but the main parts of the story -- the beginning and the end -- take place in airplanes in big trouble. Airplanes. In big trouble.
Thank you to the readers who loved this admittedly unconventional plot and took the time to review it and post comments. You inspire me!
Best Pop Album of 2012:
CHANNEL ORANGE By Frank Ocean
Fave Book of the Year:
VANISHED YEARS By Rupert Everett
Bad Religion / Frank Ocean
11. Landslide / Fleetwood Mac
1. VANISHED YEARS by Rupert Everett. Stunning and beautifully written memoir by the English actor. Nails the age we live in with humor, warmth and bitchery.
2. TALES I NEVER TOLD by Michael Winner. The English film director and food writer is hilarious, forthright, wise. The perfect companion.
3. THE CHRISTMAS MOUSE by Miss Read. Discover this English classic for warmth and cozy home truths.
4. THE DIFFICULTY OF BEING by Jean Cocteau. Pretty much everything he says is a pearl.
5. DARK UNIVERSE by William F. Nolan. Delicious walk on the dark side.
"Behind The Candelabra" -- Fantastic. Michael Douglas and Matt Damon are brilliant in this.
"Under The Dome" -- Great book by Stephen King; fun TV show
"Man of Steel" -- Henry Cavill is wonderful in this wayyy too long, too dark, too video-game bombastic spectacle. I don't like the new broody Batman films for much the same reasons -- I don't find this kind of storytelling entertaining. Sorry.. Because I love Batman and Superman.
1. Kathy Griffin on Bravo --
7. JOHN CARTER -- see this. It's great. yes, really.
1. WAR HORSE -- simply gorgeous, and so emotional! A triumph.
2. Graham Norton -- funny but also such pretty colors and production values. Wow!
3. Must See: DJANGO UNCHAINED!!!!!
1. Newsroom -- wow. Riveting. (Update: actually, I haven't kept up with this. Still on?)
2. RuPaul's Drag Race -- so smart, so funny!
3. Family Guy
4. Dancing With the Stars
5. Modern Family
6. THE OLYMPICS!
1. India Arie / Ready For Love
2. Taylor Dayne / Love Will Lead You Back
3. Kelly Clarkson / The Trouble With Love
Something To Read? Someone To Read
1. Gore Vidal
2. James Baldwin
3. E. Lynn Harris
4. Omar Tyree
5. Gordon Merrick - vintage funster
6. Gaywyk by Vincent Virga -- groundbreaker
7. Grief by Andrew Halloran
8. HP Lovecraft
9. Joyce Carol Oates
10. Patricia Highsmith
And by the Way
1. Scissor Sisters
2. Pet Shop Boys
Hall of Fame FOREVER
Noah's Arc -- I'm still in awe and always will be.
2. Kanye West
3. Frank Ocean
4. Lupe Fiasco
5. Tupac, Dre, Snoop
6. Grand Master Flash
7. LL Cool J
8. Beastie Boys
1. Don't Leave Me This Way / Thelma Houston
2. Donna Summer: All
3. Chain Reaction / Diana Ross
In a Class By Themselves
2. Bob Dylan
4. Celine Dion
Funny/Always Compelling Twitter People:
Michael Ian Black
David Alan Grier